Update of the Church Project
I apologize for the amount of time that it has been since my post following the midterm critique two weeks ago. Since then, one week of spring break and one week of classes have passed. Spring break I spent working on a redesign of the church which is the primary purpose of this post.
At the post critique review I sighted several challenges with the past design of my church which included: dealing with the programmatic challenges, and considering the opportunity to fill up the entire depth of the site with my building. Through these changes it was important to constantly keep a view of the building and the siting of the building as it related to the community.
Through these changes you can see that I redesigned the way that the church interacts with the streetscape by pulling a portico forward with ionic columns supporting it. That columnar grid then expresses the opportunity to relate through the entire length of the church in the column center lines which run along the edge of the nave. I took the opportunity to place side aisles along the church, which as you can see through the section enable the opportunity to light the nave through clerestory windows.