Immediately we were encouraged to spend time working through the tectonics of the buildings that we were working on. Attached to this post is an enlarged section that was drawn after the initial design was worked out. The goal of this section and plan was to illustrate the idea of the impact that a bearing wall system of construction would have on the building.
Below is the aforementioned Section and plan.
First of all I would like to apologize, it has been quite some time since I have posted anything pertaining to my project. Today is the day for catching you all up with the challenges and triumphs that I have went through in the past 21 days.
Last I posted was pertaining to the project I was planning to work on in Rockford. Since then, I had switched my project to the city of Aurora, been tempted back to Rockford, but finally settled in Aurora, working on a project very similar to that of the Rockford Project. Sadly this means I will no longer be able to obtain Turkey Hill Iced Tea while traveling for my project. But, Aurora is the best choice for me to work on a project in, due to the support structure that is already set up with the the City Planners, Historical Society, and the Community.
Since then, I have begun to whole heartedly look at the way that the city developed throughout history, focusing on three cardinal dates, 1888, 1945ish, and 2009. I say ‘ish’ because the development of the project is centered around a type of map called, Sandborn Maps, these maps were created so that fire companies could know what type of buildings they were being called to at a moments notice. The Sandborns are usually created over a certain amount of time, and the distance of time between the completions of one Sandborn to the rest varies greatly. Thus, the use of the word ‘ish’. The value of these maps are, they not only show detailed footprints of the building, but also uses and types, window placement, and interior walls. All of these elements create a very valuable platform to jump off of when looking at the historic city as a whole. The present state of the city is much more challenging to determine because the most recent Sandborns were produced in approximately 1955.
My Goal is to post later and provide my thesis proposal, as well as a post on my sketch project, the Madagascar Chapel.
Thank you all for you support
Moving forward through project mode. I am constantly realizing the challenges that come with trying to develop a study of morphology when existing morphology does not exist for the site in question. Redeveloping a rail yard that has always been a rail yard does not give a historical aspect of the site itself due to the issue that the City of Rockford grew to and around this rail yard from the beginning. This will require a different approach to understand how the site would have developed if it had not been a rail yard and determining historically what keynote dates and developments would have began to change the fabric of the site itself, as well as, analyzing several other block and street arrangements throughout the city that are similar to the situation of the site itself. (Below is the Sanborn map from April 1887 showing the Rail Yard to the center)