First of all I would like to apologize, it has been quite some time since I have posted anything pertaining to my project. Today is the day for catching you all up with the challenges and triumphs that I have went through in the past 21 days.
Last I posted was pertaining to the project I was planning to work on in Rockford. Since then, I had switched my project to the city of Aurora, been tempted back to Rockford, but finally settled in Aurora, working on a project very similar to that of the Rockford Project. Sadly this means I will no longer be able to obtain Turkey Hill Iced Tea while traveling for my project. But, Aurora is the best choice for me to work on a project in, due to the support structure that is already set up with the the City Planners, Historical Society, and the Community.
Since then, I have begun to whole heartedly look at the way that the city developed throughout history, focusing on three cardinal dates, 1888, 1945ish, and 2009. I say ‘ish’ because the development of the project is centered around a type of map called, Sandborn Maps, these maps were created so that fire companies could know what type of buildings they were being called to at a moments notice. The Sandborns are usually created over a certain amount of time, and the distance of time between the completions of one Sandborn to the rest varies greatly. Thus, the use of the word ‘ish’. The value of these maps are, they not only show detailed footprints of the building, but also uses and types, window placement, and interior walls. All of these elements create a very valuable platform to jump off of when looking at the historic city as a whole. The present state of the city is much more challenging to determine because the most recent Sandborns were produced in approximately 1955.
My Goal is to post later and provide my thesis proposal, as well as a post on my sketch project, the Madagascar Chapel.
Thank you all for you support